Think of a roadmap as a bird’s eye view of the entire project. A roadmap is a high-level plan, or a strategy, visualised on a timeline. How to have a roadmap in Jira? Do I need a plugin, or app? What is Jira roadmapping?
Roadmaps are about: Strategy, vision, overview, highlight, priorities, major dates (milestones), long-term, graphical tool (timeline), simplicity, communicating/sharing goals, at a glance, shared understanding, coordination, expectations
Roadmaps are NOT about: Granularity, detailed view, itemized plan, minutiae
Rules of thumb
- a roadmap should fit to a single sheet of paper or slide/screen
- up to four items per workstream (∼team) per year
- order matters: top workstreams on top, top goals on top, etc.
- plain language; avoid jargon, acronyms and abbreviations
- you should be able to comprehend a roadmap within 3 minutes
- the further into the future, the coarser grained the goals should be
Jira roadmap plugin
Jira features no roadmap functionality by default. As a matter of fact, Jira Agile has not been designed for long-term planning. It’s sprint- and cadence-focused and lacks aggregation. Ask Jira Agile for “a rough plan for the next 6 months” and you’ll get a list of 500 tasks.
Jira Portfolio (the app by Atlassian) does better. In fact it’s been devised with roadmapping in mind. With such features as “capacity usage in October” Jira Portfolio might seem great for tactical planning. But for Jira Portofolio there was always an elephant in the room…
BigPicture does even better. With aesthetically pleasing roadmaps and other PPM tools, such as Gantt chart, resources and risk modules, with green or red dependency arrows, that our clients love so much, BigPicture fits a PPM manager’s needs. Remember that “appetite comes with eating”?
What does Jira Roadmapping stand for?
Not just plain strategic planning. And not only drawing a roadmap in Jira for that plan. Also, integration with Jira backlog or tracker, resources and risk modules.
Roadmap consist of
- Must haves
- A timeline with the project divided into stages (Project Increments in SAFe®)
- Project goals at least in the form of deliverables
- High-level tasks
- Should haves
- Workstreams, or separate swim lanes
- Milestones, or key events
- Could haves
Are roadmaps necessary in the Agile times?
Yes. Only a few years ago Agile enthusiasts realized that they had swallowed scrums in the wrong way. And that some overarching goals are still to loom on the horizon.
Roadmaps are among those rare PPM situations that call for static planning. Few people should be given permission to modify goals on a roadmap, so that in the end of the day the project manager is able to compare the results with the original plan.
For who roadmaps cater?
- for teams – to generate a shared understanding of goals
- for stakeholders – who input goals on roadmaps, and confront these goals with real life results afterwards
Are stakeholders owners of the company?
Stakeholders have very different meaning in roadmapping than in everyday life. They are often not owners of a company.
Stakeholders in project management are: (a) a manager who is most interested in the outcome of a project, (b) a manager who secures resources for the project, and (c) a steering committee, or representatives of all the organizations involved in the project.
A sample milestone, please…
Say, you’ll attend a SAFe summit on April 10th in the hope to increase your sales by 20% in the given year. This could be your milestone, sometimes expressed as a vertical red line on a timeline.
What a roadmap is NOT:
- a Gantt chart. With a Gantt you could plan “for July 15th”. With a roadmap you plan “for October” or “for the 3rd quarter”. The Gantt charts are much more fine-grained than the roadmaps.
- a backlog. While a roadmap sets a general direction, the backlog is a set of detailed issues. But a roadmap should work together with the backlog.
- a project management tracker. Jira or Trello are trackers and a roadmap is a separate app, or addon, or plugin, that helps a project manager see the big picture.
How to add risks to the roadmap?
Fortunately, you don’t need a separate space for risks on a roadmap. Just mark areas of risk with orange and red colours.
BigPicture for Jira Server features the below roadmap
Different than BigPicture for Jira Cloud. So, check the roadmap module for Jira Cloud pictured above.