With regular Jira you can do “some”, or “limited” resource capacity planning. What is capacity of an individual, team, machine? Why to plan it in the first place? When the regular Jira is enough and when you’ll want to get some resource planning plugin? Do you need to take skills into consideration?
Two reasons why capacity planning is important
As a project manager:
- you need to neither overload nor underload a resource (a professional, a team or a machine)
- knowing your teams’ capacity, project management software can estimate the end date of a project
What regular Jira can and cannot do in terms of capacity planning?
With no supplementary resource planning plugin you can do the following in Jira:
- assume, for every employee, that a week has 5 working days/8 hours, or different values
- activate time tracking
- compare the triad for a task: logged time – remaining time – estimated time
The following on the other hand are what you’ll have difficult time doing in regular Jira. So you need a plugin:
- workload plan – a separate weekly “calendar” for every employee, e.g. Mon – Fri 9 to 5 for full-time Joe or Monday-Thursday, 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. for half-time Mary
- holiday plan – moveable and fixed holidays, such as Christmas, Easter, oftentimes different across countries and cultures
- vacation plan – when your Joe Of All Trades flies away for Cancún or an excavator has a service break.
- skills – more on that later
Points 1 to 3 collectively constitute true individual’s capacity.
How precisely to do capacity planning?
The more specialized the staff members are, the more likely you are going to need at least the workload/holiday plan functionalities in your Jira set-up and this is why:
- you likely employ a couple of part-time specialists. Example: you could have a very crucial software architect person, but only as a part-time member
- as regular Jira is unaware of teams, you wouldn’t be able to determine you teams’ capacities
- some teams cannot easily transfer tasks between team members. Example: A team consists of a Java Developer (back-end), an Angular developer (front-end) and a full-stack developer. The third is the only generalist in the team and – sadly to say – might not be as competent at both programming languages.
With very specialized teams you might need to decompose skills, too.
Capacity of a team
The most widespread approach to team’s capacity is to simply add up capacities of individual team members. With hired, or outsourced teams, however, it’s quite common to assume their capacity at say 80 hours per week, regardless of how many people a team actually consists of. This is because a set price had usually been agreed beforehand for a hired team.
Do you need to decompose skills?
Probably not at initial stages of about any project. As a project is misty and blurry, “I just need five developers” is all you know. The more into a project, the more you fall into resource allocation and you need some level of skills decomposition.
Which plugin for advanced Jira resource capacity planning?
We compare strengths and weaknesses of the big three of Jira resource planning world here. We highly recommend BigPicture for its balanced emphasis on various resource-related functionalities (HR bias vs. project bias). As far as resource planning is concerned BigPicture features both workload and holiday plans (that in BP serve the purpose of vacation plans, too), as well as skills-related fields. Besides, it is an advanced project management app for Jira that features roadmap, Gantt chart, resources, risks and cross-program view.
Deciding between BigPicture and BigPicture Enterprise? Check 6 signs your organization should upgrade to BigPicture Enterprise.
Product and market diversification gives way to a new kind of diversity – such with various products, PM methodologies, and people coexisting and interacting in an organization. Here is an executive buyer’s guide to selecting the best PPM software for a diverse company (PM methodology-wise) – more
What are the top 8 reasons to upgrade to BigPicture 8? If you are on Jira Cloud your BigPicture version was updated automatically. If you are on Server or Data Center it is your responsibility to update.