How to get started with product roadmaps in Jira? First, decide on this: do I need an iterative roadmap or Gantt chart-style roadmap? Let’s go through the features and advantages of both.
Both types have a timeline. So you don’t need to give up this core component. What are the differences then?
- The iterative product roadmap is, by definition, sliced into time boxes (iterations, PIs, or quarters) and is focused on reporting the progress made in a given time box.
- The Gantt chart-like product roadmap, while it can have the iteration overlay, is more about deadlines (use markers for deadlines) and events (use milestones).
Can and should you use both rodmapping tools?
Some apps, such as BigPicture, have both iterative and Gantt-style roadmaps.
Product development teams will be motivated more effectively by an agile-iterative product roadmap.
CEOs will usually prefer Gantt chart-like product roadmaps.
Product owners might need both.
Iterative product roadmaps
Agile product roadmap in a nutshell:
- for agile teams and product owners
- the tool is more efficient in terms of motivating people
- and more suitable for short-term planning of small tasks
- iteration reviews/sprint demos are primary ‘disciplinary measures’
- less timeline-oriented (although there is a timeline)
Quarterly product roadmap
Is agility not your world? Use quarters (Q1, Q2, Q3, and Q4 as seen in the below screenshot) as Roadmap time boxes, instead of PIs. You can add quarters, months, or custom time boxes in the BigPicture Overview module. Time-boxes can be added in the Overview > Hierarchy mode, and they can be edited by dragging and dropping these quarters or months in Overview > Timeline mode.
Gantt-style product roadmap
Some vendors offer simple Gantt charts under the ‘roadmap’ name. Some organizations even reject the ‘Gantt chart’ label. There is a solution. Use BigPicture’s mature Gantt charts as product roadmaps, and starting BigPicture 8 you can rename ‘Gantt chart’ to ‘Roadmap’. Fair enough?
Gantt chart-style product roadmap in a nutshell:
- a timeline-oriented tool
- for CEOs, product owners, teams in non-agile environments
- more room for extremely in-depth, detailed views
- there is also room for high-level aggregation of progress (for instance, you can apply COUNT or SUM aggregation to the ‘Status’ or ‘Time tracking’ columns, as seen in the screen capture above)
- milestones are primary ‘disciplinary measure’
Iterative roadmaps and Gantt charts can both serve as roadmapping tools for Jira but have slightly different target groups. Most organizations will find both tools useful. Skip the hassle of keeping two separate roadmapping add-ons in sync. Try BigPicture, an all-in-one product management tool.
BigPicture 8 has been on the market since September. Watch this one-hour webinar to learn what new modules and improvements the Eight delivers.
The integration with Trello arriving in BigPicture 8, paves the way for BP to “umbrella portfolio management” league. Let teams in your organization enjoy the tools they love, yet keep an eye on the big picture with Gantt charts, Roadmaps, Program Boards that BigPicture has. More on the new Trello-BigPicture interface.
The release of BigPicture 8 is fast approaching. So far, we’ve debated on new features version 8 is bringing, such as [Boxes], new Gantt chart 2.0, and Scenarios. Let’s have a closer look at the practical aspect – how to upgrade to BigPicture 8 if you’re on version 7.
See you at:
- Global SAFe Summit in Denver, Sep 23-24, 2020