As it is not included in Jira by default, a Gantt chart is one of the most searched for Jira apps and a must-have for a project manager. Neatly designed Gantt’s are better than others as Gantt charts are all about the visual representation of data. You could learn to use a Gantt chart during a one-hour tutorial, but things begin to get slightly complicated when integrating a Gantt module and Jira. So, let’s divide this “Jira Gantt tutorial” article into a couple of sections: 1-hour tutorial and learn Gantt in a day and a week.
What is a Gantt chart? Pictures are easier to internalize than text. As projects in America were becoming larger and more complicated during the early 20th century, Henry Gantt came up with a unique bar chart format to help project managers. The Gantt chart was later employed on infrastructure projects such as the Hoover Dam and the Interstate Highway System. And it remains popular today, but with the notable addition of dependencies, or links, between tasks.
BigPicture Gantt tutorial: 5 minutes
To give you a concept of what a Gantt chart is, back in the day, they used to draw them on paper. The digital versions of today are easier to manipulate.
1-hour Jira Gantt chart tutorial
A more in-depth, 30-minute tutorial of Gantt chart. Some crucial Gantt-related terms are discussed in the video, i.e.:
- links between tasks
- baselines – footprints marking where tasks were originally positioned on a timeline
- critical path – tasks that affect a program’s end date are highlighted red
- cadences and sprints – i.e. 1-week, 2-week, 1-month or so time frames visible on Gantt chart. They are more modern than the original 100-year-old concept of Henry Gantt. Cadences and sprints have to do with the agile management
- perspectives – in the rest of the computer world known as configurable views
- data synchronization: Gantt to Jira and vice versa
Gantt ≠ Waterfall
or “Why to study Gantt charts anyway?”
In the IT world, many still believe that Gantt charts are inherently not up-to-date. Especially with agile teams now in the game. That notion dates back to the MS Project era, or the early 2000s. Back then, project managers working on Gantt charts were constantly out of sync with executive teams that used third-party task tools for everyday planning.
Fortunately, those days are now over. With BigPicture Gantt module you’re continuously in sync with Jira. And the Gantt chart here serves a slightly different purpose, namely to visualise tasks.
2-hour Jira Gantt tutorial
Similar to the 1-hour variant, but with the functionalities divided into separate 20+ videos, bound together in a playlist.
Can I really learn Gantt in one hour?
You could grasp the idea after the one-hour tutorial. But you need long-term project management experience to become proficient. This is why:
- Gantt charts are becoming more and more integrated with other project management standard features, e.g. resources, risks, roadmap and teams.
- As more advanced project portfolio management, or PPM, gains popularity over regular project management methodologies, comprehensive PPM apps for Jira gain advantage over plain Gantt charts.
- We notice people migrating from our BigGantt to take advantage of the more advanced features included in the BigPicture Gantt module. This seems to confirm the aforementioned trends.
If you are a qualifying not-for-profit institution, BigGantt is offered free of charge.
Learn the Gantt chart in a day and a week
To help you obtain a thorough in-depth understanding of the Gantt chart, we offer:
- Online documentation of BigGantt
- A one-hour BigPicture webinar by our Support Team via online meeting software offering an opportunity for Q&A. For teams up to 100 licenses – we have prescheduled demos here – sign-up. Keep in mind that BigGantt has a subset of BigPicture functionalities, still as a BigGantt user, you’re welcome to the webinar.
- For larger clients, i.e. over 100 licenses, contact email@example.com to schedule you an individualized demo.
- Comprehensive one- or two-day Big Picture training courses with a Jira certified trainer.
- Schedule your course here.
Next-gen projects – how good are they, and do BigPicture, BigGantt support them? More.
BigPicture has now the ‘Extra Working days’, if you occasionally work on Saturdays or Sundays. Find the feature in Holiday Plans – see a tutorial.
See you in:
- Las Vegas for Atlassian Summit, Mar 31 – Apr 2, 2020
- Tallinn for Atlassian in Baltics, Apr 23, 2020
- The Hague at European SAFe Summit, Jun 10-11, 2020