Clients keep asking: what can BigPicture and BigGantt do in terms of asset management? You can have an asset registry in Jira + BigPicture. You can also print inventory management documents and manage risks associated with assets. There are, however, dedicated asset management plugins, such as STAGIL Assets, a product of our long-term partner. These let you do the job more effectively. Have a look at these key takeaways on asset management in BigPicture and the third-party plugins, such as STAGIL Assets.
What asset management operations can you do in BigPicture?
Project management and asset management coexist. An entity big enough to run ‘projects’, certainly has plenty of assets. Sample assets are hardware, software, inventory, machinery, people, real estate, customers, contracts, brands.
BigPicture is a project management app, and not an asset management one. Yet, you can perform certain asset management workflows in Jira + BigPicture:
- Very typically, you’ll record your assets as Jira issues. Consider grouping them in the ‘Assets’ project. It is your assets register. Especially with physical assets, you can print forms, such as ‘Acquisition’, ‘Rental’, or ‘Disposal’. This can be done using BigPicture (or BigGantt) + BigTemplate extension. You can customize templates – add Jira and BigPicture fields, as well as QR codes, see the first of the below screenshots.
- Now, what is the Asset Management? It means balancing the costs, the risks, and the performance of an asset over a particular timescale. Note that BigPicture ensures the ‘risks’ part of the definition. Since you store your assets as Jira tickets, you can also put them on BigPicture Risk Matrix, so that an asset constitutes a risk, that you need to keep an eye on. See the second screenshot.
- People are also “assets”, right? BigPicture has the Resources module, which is all about the ‘performance’ part of the cited definition. See the video below on Resources in BigPicture. It mostly shows how to balance the capacity of your human “assets” with their allocation.
Asset management plugins for Jira
If you need more insights into your assets, use a dedicated asset management plugin from Atlassian Marketplace. We can say good things about STAGIL Assets, by our long-term partner from Wiesbaden, Germany. This plugin lets you track and visualize dependencies between assets. At the time of writing, STAGIL Assets add-on has the perfect rating: 4 out of 4 stars :)
We need to be fair, however, and name the big player: Insight – Asset Management by Mindiville (formerly Riada) – currently the leading asset management plugin for Jira. If you are serious about terms such as:
- CMDB – Configuration Management Database
- ITIL – Information Technology Infrastructure Library
- ITSM – Information Technology Service Management
you likely need an ITAM plugin from the Marketplace.
If you are more into project management and marginally into asset management, try BigPicture. A reliable asset management add-on for Jira can cost more than a project management plugin. Now compare their features. Will you choose one or both?
Context menus are coming to BigPicture and BigGantt. Change statuses from ‘In progress’ to ‘Done’ by right-clicking a task or project. See context menus in action.
Atlassian launches ‘Apps for every team’ campaign (#appsforeveryteam) to spread the word about the Atlassian Marketplace and inform Atlassian customers on how apps and integrations can help enhance and extend their Atlassian experience. BigPicture is featured in the ‘Software teams’ category, but we would add ‘Business’ and ‘Design’ categories as well :) More
Books stay alive ;) Rynder Roy Klomp showcases BigPicture in his new ‘Jira More’ book, available from Amazon. Project management and Portfolio management is where BP flourishes (Chapter 1 of the book).
Are you on Jira Cloud and governed by GDPR or under a US privacy regulator? You’ll soon be able to select where (geographically) your BigPicture data is stored. Read more.
See you at:
- European SAFe Summit in The Hague, Jun 10-11, 2020
- catworkx Midsummer Day, Hamburg, Jun 23-24, 2020
- Global SAFe Summit in Denver, Sep 23-24, 2020